Sunday, April 1, 2012

Mrs. Gladys Saggybottom

Mrs. Gladys Saggybottom was pegging out her washing and told me, " They don't know what housework is today, I used to get up at 3. a.m., clean the fireplace out, go down to the well at the bottom of the garden to fetch some water for the tin bath to wash my 15 children, get them all breakfast, get them all dressed and ready for school, do the washing in a tin tub, squeeze it all through the old mangle which I still use today, wash and prepare the vegetables which I had to dig up out of the garden, clean the whole house through with just a sweeping brush, answer the door, make the beds, and get my husband up and dressed. By this time it was 3.30 a.m. and I was ready for a good old cup of tea I can tell you". She added, "But I wouldn't change a thing, it's made me the woman I am today, full of aches and pains, a heart condition and looking 20 years older than I am". I hurriedly left while she wasn't looking and as I turned I noticed she was sobbing like a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment